OFFICIALS of the Games and Amusements Board (GAB) draw the line with the organizers and team owners of the fledgling Pilipinas VisMin Super Cup and agreed to terms with regards on the observance and compliance of rules and regulation.
While the government sports body for professional sports acknowledged the league’s ‘self-regulation’, the fights against shenanigans is a joint responsibility for team owners, organizers and GAB.
“Maayos po ang naging talakayan. Nailahad ng mga team owners ang kanilang concerned, ganoon din po kami. Hopefully, malagpasan natin itong naging problema at maging matagumpay ang liga,” said GAB Chairman Abraham ‘Baham’ Mitra, who met the leagues officials at team owners via Zoom.
Mitra disclosed that major agreement was approved to make the league a much better organization in the future.
The agreements are:
1) To police their own ranks and share information of wrong doings, help monitor and report any proposals or attempts of any form of game fixing, subpar performance and the like.
2) For new team owners to come out in media that they are now the new and young crop of entrepreneurs involved in sports.
3) For GAB to conduct a seminar on Code of Conduct of professional athletes/officials and administer Oath.
4) For the league to continue to observe and ensure compliance with health and safety protocols, and to promote and uphold the spirit of professionalism and sportsmanship at all times.
Meantime, league officials have absolved two members of Siquijor from the lifetime banishment imposed on the team.
Miguel Castellano and Michael Sereno have been cleared by the league as the two were not present during the controversial game that transpired last Wednesday.
Castellano missed the game and stayed in the team’s hotel during the game as he was nursing a sore right knee.
“Our doctors here have confirmed that Miguel was really nursing an injury that cost him to miss the game,” said league Chief Operations Officer Rocky Chan.
On the other hand, Sereno had asked to leave the bubble prior to the league’s tip-off last April 9.
The swingman out of University of Southern Philippines Foundation had been training with the team prior but had to go out due to “personal reasons.”
Vincent Tangcay’s case is also under review as he did not play a single second in the contest.
“We are also reviewing the other players in the game,” added Chan.
The league had earlier slapped a ban on the entire team last Thursday, citing “acts dishonorable to the game.”